|St Marcus Church On Russell Ave at McNair Ave. From Google Maps Link|
The earliest German Protestant organization in St Louis was that of the German Evangelical Church of the Holy Ghost, which was established in 1834. Its membership embraced both the Lutheran and Reformed denominations which continued to together for nine years. In the year 1842, however, dissensions arose on points of doctrine, and in July, 1843, the pastor of the Church of the Holy Ghost Rev GW Wall, with Messrs Buenemann, Schmidt W Schrader, Jacob Westerman, and seventy others who adhered to the doctrines of the Reformed denomination, withdrew and on the 31st of July, organized the German Evangelical Congregation St Louis. They worshiped in the Benton school house on Sixth Street between Locust and St Street until 1845 when they erected two churches one called the North Church, afterwards St German Evangelical Church at Carr and Fifteenth Streets, and the other known as South Church, afterwards St Marcus or St Mark's Church, at the of Jackson and Soulard Streets. Both were alike in size and design each being thirty by forty feet in dimensions and remained the common property of congregation until 1856, when a division was effected and two distinct churches were organized.
The German Evangelical Congregation of St Louis in July, 1843, formed the nucleus of the Evangelical Synod of the West which has since over the United States. This Synod in with a few congregations in Canada is called German Evangelical Synod of North America, being the American Branch of the Prussian Church, it receives biennially the interest on a fund which was subscribed some twenty years ago, the Evangelical congregations of Prussia for benefit of their brethren in this country. The German Protestant Orphans Home Photo Link , formerly within city limits but now ten miles from the court on St Charles Rock road, was organized by the German Evangelical Synod as was also the Good Samaritan Hospital, Twenty-fifth and O Fallon Streets.
St Marcus: Link